You may not think that a pub would be the kind of business that would need to take on the services of a PR agency.
But when we took on the PR for The Old Cannon Brewery in Bury St Edmunds, they became one of our most successful (and enjoyable) clients.
For just a small monthly retainer, we were able to pack in a wide range of PR activities and work alongside the enthusiastic Old Cannon team, who were always coming up with ideas, happy to be creative and yet take direction – as well as try new things!
Here are some of the services we offered them:
- Local and trade media relations – we regularly put out good news stories to the local and pub trade press which raise awareness of the Old Cannon, especially to non-regulars. Recent news story content included charitable initiatives, record sales, new menu launches, new beer recipes events and comment on industry news through interview pieces.
- Social media – we ran the Old Cannon’s Twitter and Facebook platforms. Both saw a significant rise in followers/friends, but have also been influential in ensuring special events such as New Year’s Eve / Mother’s Day and Easter were completely sold out. Running social media allowed them to interact with regulars and new customers, publicise events, show off their spectacular dishes with photos and increase traffic on to their website.
- Community relations – The Old Cannon are very active when it comes to raising money for charity and taking part in community initiatives. Charitable activity always provides strong and regular content for media relations and social media, but it also makes them a much more appealing business to buy from. They show that they care about their local community and this is a big factor in a customer’s buying decision these days.
- Events – The team know that a sure-fire way to get people into the bar, brasserie and accommodation is to put on enjoyable and cost effective events. Again, providing great content for social media and media relations, but also vital in getting people through the bar. Recent successful events include a 4th July BBQ, a Valentine’s Day special, a breakthrough breast cancer coffee morning and a Grand National day.
- Award entries – We helped the OCB with several awards schemes – writing the entries for them which resulted in them winning and being shortlisted for several prestigious awards.
So if you are a pup/bar/brewery landlord and you’re thinking of taking on some PR support, it doesn’t have to be scary – give us a call and we can help!